nieuws: SETI stopt zoektocht naar aliens
Gaan wij ook stoppen?
NEE!Zie voor meer informatie deze link:
Inhoudsopgave Seti@Home hitparades week 27
- DPC SETI@Home hitparade van 03 juli 2011
- DPC SETI@Home hitparade van 04 juli 2011
- DPC SETI@Home hitparade van 05 juli 2011
- DPC SETI@Home hitparade van 06 juli 2011
- DPC SETI@Home hitparade van 07 juli 2011
- DPC SETI@Home hitparade van 08 juli 2011
- DPC SETI@Home hitparade van 09 juli 2011
Wat is Seti@Home ?
Wat is SETI@home?
SETI@home is de naam van een wetenschappelijk experiment dat computers die via het internet met elkaar verbonden zijn, inzet om buitenaardse intelligentie op te sporen. U kunt hieraan deelnemen middels een gratis computerprogramma dat radiotelescoop-data download en analyseert.
23 Jun 2011 | 21:35:31 UTC
Here's another catch-up tech news report. No big news, but more of the usual.
Last week we got beyond the annoying limits with the Astropulse database. There's still stuff to do "behind the scenes" but we are at least able to insert signals, and thus the assimilators are working again.
The upload server (bruno) keeps locking up. This is load related - it happens more often when we are maxed out, and of course we're pretty much maxed out all the time these days. We're thinking this may actually be a bad CPU. We'll swap it out and see if the problem goes away. Until then.. we randomly lose the ability to upload workunits and human intervention (to power cycle the machine locally or remotely) is required.
We've been moving back-end processes around. I mentioned before how we moved the assimilators to synergy as vader seemed overloaded. This was helpful. However one thing we forgot about is that the assimilators have a memory leak. This is something that's been an issue forever - like since we were compiling/running this on Sun/Solaris systems - yet completely impossible to find and fix. But an easy band aid is to have a cron job that restart the assimilators every so often to clear the pipes. Well, oops, we didn't have that cron job on synergy and the system wedged over the weekend. That cron job is now in place. But still.. not sure why it's so easy for user processes to lock up a whole system to the point you can't even get a root prompt. There should always be enough resources to get a root prompt.
The mysql replica continued to fall behind, so the easiest thing to try next was upgrading mysql from 5.1.x to 5.5 (which employs better parallelization, supposedly, and therefore better i/o in times of stress). However, Fedora Core 15 is the first version of Fedora to have mysql 5.5 in its rpm repositories. So I upgraded jocelyn to FC15.. only to find for some reason this version of Fedora cannot load the firmware/drivers for the old QLogic fibre channel card, and therefore can't see the data drives. I've been beating my head on this problem for days now to no avail. We could downgrade, but then we can't use mysql 5.5. I guess we could install mysql 5.5 ourselves instead of yumming it in, but that's given us major headaches in the past. This should all just work like it had in earlier versions of Fedora. Jeez.
Thanks for the kind words in the previous thread. Don't worry - I won't let it get to my head .
[Voor 0% gewijzigd door APClll op 10-07-2011 20:44]