Toon posts:

Comment on my build plan

Pagina: 1
Acties:

• GJC81
  • Registratie: september 2010
  • Laatst online: 27-09-2010
Hello Tweakers,

This is my first post, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. I'm also Candian, so reading the Dutch instructions costs me a great deal of effort.

I need to upgrade, but I 've made the leap from student to employee, so where before I had time to plan, but no money to buy, I now have money to upgrade, but no time to plan a new machine.

I'm asking for comments on a planned upgrade, see below. I have a Areocool Vx-R (http://www.aerocool.us/pgs/pgs-v/pgs_v_vxr.htm) to throw this lot into. Do any of you have tips for me, warnings, recommended changes? Please give me a bit of justification for any changes you recommend. Thanks in advance for your time. I appreciate it.

Specifically I'm concerned about:
1. the timings for the RAM
2. Is 850W enough for this build
3. The fact that the mobo uses an ATi Crossfire linkage but I want an nVidia card
4. Known problems with fitting ATX mobos in Areocool cases, or possible trouble with the UPS
5. Any other points that are obvious to you, but are lost on me since I haven't been "in the know" for several years now.

#ProductPrijsSubtotaal
1Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS, 2TB€ 89,90€ 89,90
1Cooler Master Silent Pro M850€ 119,20€ 119,20
2GeIL GV34GB1333C9DC€ 75,80€ 151,60
1AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition€ 128,-€ 128,-
1Asrock 890FX Deluxe3€ 128,23€ 128,23
1Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI€ 195,25€ 195,25
Bekijk collectie
Importeer producten
Totaal€ 812,18

Bedankt!

• Harrie
  • Registratie: november 2000
  • Laatst online: 06:58

Harrie

NederVlaming

I havent been following the most recent things as well, but what I think is:

2) 850 Watts should be more than enough, but I can't find the graphics card you want to use. Which Nvidia one?

3) The fact that it is a cross-fire motherboard is no restriction to use an Nvidia video card. But I think you cannot use SLI on it (2 nvidia cards working together)

[Voor 12% gewijzigd door Harrie op 26-09-2010 19:12]

F1TV 20% korting hier

• Flying Bobman
  • Registratie: november 2006
  • Laatst online: 21-05 17:09
I think you can even use a less powerful PSU, 850W is only useful if you are planning to add another graphics card, or add a lot of hard disks. Also, the CPU you want to buy can be cheaper if you don't buy the unlocked version, this type of CPU is only useful if you want to start overclocking.

• GJC81
Thanks Harrie and Bobman.

Harrie, the card I wanted to use was the GV-N460OC-1Gl. I hadn't planned on sli'ing two together.

Bobman, thanks for the tip on the PSU, but I coudn't find a non "black edition" of an equivalently powerful chip, any suggestions?

I suppose I should clarify for all that I'm building a gaming rig and looking for the folowing priorities, in order:
Performance
Silence
Reliability/longevity

Price isn't really an issue for me right now, within reason.

On the noise note, who knows the quietest 120mm fan that would pull enough volume in through a front lower grille to improve the airflow in a tower with the PSU in the bottom, a mesh sidepanel with no fan, and a 120mm fan in the upper rear?
For info on the case see my link in the original post.

#ProductPrijsSubtotaal
1Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS, 2TB€ 89,90€ 89,90
1Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 600W€ 105,-€ 105,-
2GeIL GV34GB1333C9DC€ 74,90€ 149,80
1AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition€ 147,-€ 147,-
1Asrock 890FX Deluxe3€ 128,23€ 128,23
1Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI€ 195,25€ 195,25
Bekijk collectie
Importeer producten
Totaal€ 815,18

• Floppus
  • Registratie: juni 2001
  • Laatst online: 14-09 11:52

Floppus

Adviseur

Customer Experience matters

Welcome to Tweakers.net GJC81!,

It's good to see our efforts for a good product search and PriceWatch even reach beyond Dutch language.

Generally, we have some guidelines in place for 'what should I buy'-topics, but it's in Dutch so probably hard to read anyway. In this specific case, I'll allow the topic in English in this forum (which is not the most active one for hardware advice). If you would be so kind as to give some information about how you came across Tweakers.net and how you have experienced it so far (forum + PriceWatch) that would be great for our understanding as well. If you feel more comfortable providing that in a non-public form, you can also send me an e-mail (See profile).

Download the most extensive Market Analysis on Customer Communication and Experience available anywhere (free, no sign up needed)

• GJC81
Hello Floppus,

If you could point me to the right section for "what should I buy" guidelines I'll invest the time to read it, but finding the right place to look often costs me more time than reading something directly. Also if you could let me know where would be the most active and appropriate place to put a well structured "what should I buy" post I'll remove this one and put a cleaned version in the right spot.
I can't comment a great deal on the forum, since I did make a faux pas and jump right in rather than reading around much first. The reason I posted right away is that it does seem there is a lot of expertise and information available from the users of Tweakers.net and I wanted to tap that resource.
As for the site, I find the user reviews often very in depth and quite helpful, the presentation of the rating information for products is clear, and showing the number of votes next to each rating gives an idea how reliable the rating is. The pricewatch/wishlist system is fantastic. Being able to browse so many items with reviews, comparisons and a list that saves not only the items you choose, but links to their availability in the Netherlands is phenomenal. I've never used a better hardware info site, in any language.

I was told about Tweakers.net by a co-worker here in the Netherlands when I mentioned I needed an upgrade.

I hope that answers your questions, and thanks in advance for some links to the info I obviously haven't found on my own yet.

Cheers

• Floppus
  • Registratie: juni 2001
  • Laatst online: 14-09 11:52

Floppus

Adviseur

Customer Experience matters

Thank you for the compliments. Much appreciated.

The thing is that generally topics in English are not common nor promoted (or even allowed) on the site. A reason being that all guidelines, conditions, FAQs and so on are in Dutch. I'm not much use for hardware advice myself, but we can keep the topic running here for now as your questions do relate to your finds in the Pricewatch - and there is no really suitable place for a topic in English by policy.

I hope people are willing to take the effort to assist you :)

Download the most extensive Market Analysis on Customer Communication and Experience available anywhere (free, no sign up needed)

• Harrie
  • Registratie: november 2000
  • Laatst online: 06:58

Harrie

NederVlaming

I am kinda like you TS, I haven't been "in the know" as well for some years. My latest build was an AMD64 4000+ single core :+. I try to follow up a little, but there must be people with much more knowledge here.
But why do you want an Nvidia card? Over the recent years, it completely changed towards AMD cards being to much bang for the buck (or performance for euro :) ), and that is what we are most interested in, aren't we?

F1TV 20% korting hier

• Flying Bobman
  • Registratie: november 2006
  • Laatst online: 21-05 17:09
Choosing the right fan can be done by reading this test. The PSU of 600W is good, no cheap one but a lot of people underestimate the importance of a good PSU.
Nice to know that a Dutch hardware site can compete with the international ones ;) I'm also a frequent user of the pricewatch, it can save you a lot of money and trouble (also read the shopreviews).
Pagina: 1

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) Apple iPhone 13 LG G1 Google Pixel 6 Call of Duty: Vanguard Samsung Galaxy S21 5G Apple iPad Pro (2021) 11" Wi-Fi, 8GB ram Nintendo Switch Lite

Tweakers vormt samen met Hardware Info, AutoTrack, Gaspedaal.nl, Nationale Vacaturebank, Intermediair en Independer DPG Online Services B.V.
Alle rechten voorbehouden © 1998 - 2021 Hosting door True

Tweakers maakt gebruik van cookies

Bij het bezoeken van het forum plaatst Tweakers alleen functionele en analytische cookies voor optimalisatie en analyse om de website-ervaring te verbeteren. Op het forum worden geen trackingcookies geplaatst. Voor het bekijken van video's en grafieken van derden vragen we je toestemming, we gebruiken daarvoor externe tooling die mogelijk cookies kunnen plaatsen.

Meer informatie vind je in ons cookiebeleid.

Sluiten

Forum cookie-instellingen

Bekijk de onderstaande instellingen en maak je keuze. Meer informatie vind je in ons cookiebeleid.

Functionele en analytische cookies

Deze cookies helpen de website zijn functies uit te voeren en zijn verplicht. Meer details

janee

Cookies van derden

Deze cookies kunnen geplaatst worden door derde partijen via ingesloten content en om de gebruikerservaring van de website te verbeteren. Meer details

janee